Thursday, June 11, 2009

Blind Date

The title is not implying the80's movie Blind Date starring Bruce Willis and Kim Basinger.

This is another story for Baeleigh...so when I'm old (getting closer every day) and gray (thanks to Laura, that will never be my fate) and when I have Alzheimer's (already losing my mind) then she will know about my one and only blind date.

I was 24 years old, on the break from a wacko relationship (ever had one of those??) and I was tired of men. period.

Some friends of mine at work, Jody and Meg, were dating and Jody wanted to fix me up on a blind ate with one of his friends from High School.

ME: No way. I hate men.
JO: Aww, c'mon it will be fun.
ME: No means no.
JO: Okay, you are missing out ...

~ magic words ~ if you ever want me to do something tell me I am going to miss out...I hate missing out!

ME: Okay. But just this once. Is he cute?
JO: You are asking me?? I'm a guy.
ME: All I have to say is I better get a good meal outta this...

~ famous last words...~

I was famished. Hadn't eaten a THING all day. We (Me, Jody and Meg) got off at 8:00 p.m. so we left Meijer's and went to Ashland to get JP.

We go to this apartment that looked like a cross between the Reptile and Aquatic buildings at the Cleveland Metro Zoo. Three aquariums: One 60 gallon tank full of salt water fish (a tiger something or other, a puffer, and all these cute gold fish...oh wait, they were dinner...) One tank that held a brown snake named Houdini (because he kept escaping) and lastly, a large tank with a 20 foot albino boa named Baby. Baby my foot - it was a monster!

And the telephone...it was one of those that had a neon ring around it...so, so cool.

As I'm standing in awe and fear of being attacked by something coming out of the palm tree in the living room, Jody brought him out. "This is Jamie." He's a hot guy, dressed in a polo button down, jeans, and has good hair. Okay, we are off to a decent start. Except, he didn't speak. He raised his hand, "hi" and then went back into the kitchen to finish making Long Island Ice Teas. (Baeleigh, don't ask what that is...that's for when you are over 21).

It was a long ride to Akron. Jody was dead set on taking us to a novelty restaurant...then he dropped the bomb...SUSHI.

What?? Raw fish? Me, who hates orange cheese and tomatoes and onions and anything that isn't pizza?? Seriously??

The chef brought out a disgusting seaweed wrap...they were all digging in...I was gagging. "another Mai Tai, please" I was starving and getting my nutrition from the orange on my drinks!

The chef felt bad for me, and brought scallops and chopsticks. Uggghhh..hard enough to grip them and awful to taste them! But Jamie liked them - down the hatch.

Finally, after 6 Mai Tai's and 6 orange wedges....the chef hands me...chicken...with a fork! Hallelujah! Praise the Lord! Food at last!

What a crazy first date. Who ever actually marries their blind date?? Well, I did.

And even though I married my blind date...he has NEVER been allowed to order my food for me...EVER!

There you go Beebs...how Mommy and Daddy met...

xoxo
NP

1 comment:

wendy said...

Oh, so the orange cheese thing goes waaaayyyy back. hmmm...that's too bad. We got us some really good orange cheese out here in mother earth land.

PS - you are not losing your mind.