Tuesday, July 7, 2009

WHY DO LIGHTNING BUGS FLASH?

"Flashing Lightning Bugs are trying to attract mates. Among most but not all species of North American Lightning Bugs, males fly about flashing while females perch on vegetation, usually near the ground. If the female sees a flasher and she's ready to mate she responds by flashing right after the male's last flash. A short flash dialogue takes place as the male flies closer and closer, and then, if all goes well, they mate."

Now don't you feel better knowing that? This summer, my MOST favorite thing to do is sit out on the deck and watch the fireflies. It is best when the moon is behind a cloud and all the lights are out in the house. It's whimsical and magical all at the same time.

What has crossed my mind...how do they know which ones are girls and which ones are boys in the pitch dark!?! There must be some difference in the female and male flashes.

I have decided that the lightening bugs flashing is God's gift especially to me. Every night before I go to sleep, I look out the window and see them flashing. Even when it rains, they are still there. And I always thank Him for such a beautiful sight.

Now that you got your science tidbit of education today, go enjoy the flash of the lightening bugs...

Happy Summer.

xoxo
Nat. Renee




1 comment:

wendy said...

as i laid on my air mattress (that had a hole the 1st two nights (then i got a new one)i watched the lightning bugs out the window as i fell asleep. i miss lightning bugs out here in mother earth land. i should've brought some back in a jar.