Thursday, May 21, 2009

Ryan - My Personal Trainer


Let me tell you about Ryan. He is the son of one of my dearest and kindest friends, Steph. Steph and I go way back to highschool, so I have watched Ryan grow up since he was born.

In December of 2007, Ryan was in a near-fatal car accident. It changed his life forever: he could no longer play basketball (we was a star player) hang out with his friends, text message or drive. He had severe head trauma amongst other injuries, leaving him in the hospital for months on end and undergoing many surgeries.

On January 19, 2008, my dear friend wept at his bedside as this was the day her mother died of cancer several years ago...and the doctors told her to say goodbye to her son, that he was going to die, too.

Ryan's young spirit, his determination and the awesome will of God kept him alive. In March of 2008 Ryan came home with many months of intense therapy and training. He had to literally re-learn everything.

Back in November of last year at one of his high school's football games, Med Flight flew in to be honored for saving Ryan's life. It was a very emotional day.

Steph and I were chatting and Ryan came up between us. He said, "Natalie, if you would lose 20 pounds you would feel better. If you'd lose 30, you'd be hot."


Steph's mouth fell to the ground, she gasped, "I'm sorry! Ryan you don't say things like that to people! He is still learning that you don't always say what's on your mind!"

I was not offended. Ryan was right. Over the last couple of years I was going through some major life crises. I was depressed for a while and my doctor put me on anti-depressants which really didn't work for me. Gaining 25 pounds from the medication made me even MORE depressed!

Periodically, Ryan would "remind" me that I need to start exercising. I kept putting him off, telling me "I would get to it sometime soon..."

Then, 2 weeks ago when our family bought Ryan's air hockey table at their garage sale, I decided to take a chance. I sent Ryan a text message and asked him about being my personal trainer. He was elated! We negotiated $15 per hour and he was to organize a workout plan for me.

From here on out I am going to blog my journey with Ryan. For one, it keeps me accountable to hang in there and reach my goal (which, by the way, has been changed from 30 pounds to 40 pounds by Mr. Trainer - NOT ME!)

And secondly, it allows Ryan to use his awesome abilities and positive attitude to accomplish a task.

Until next time...

N.



No comments: