Tuesday, October 13, 2009

To free us from the expectations of others, to give us back to ourselves–there lies the great, singular power of self-respect. -Joan Didion

I saw this quote the other day and it just really stuck with me.

I have a crazy horrible problem with people pleasing. I hate it when I do not meet the expectations of others. But come to think of it...when my expectations aren't met, I don't hear anyone beating down my door to apologize or to try harder or to try to make me happy. Sometimes I get "I'm human, I made a mistake" or "my family or my friends or my dog or insert whatever here... comes first". Which, incidentally means, I'm at the bottom of the list so take a number.

Self respect is a great thing ~ I have noticed that when there were times that I was too busy catering to other people that I let my self respect take a back seat to what they wanted/needed/expected.

I'm over that now.

At my class reunion, my very dear friend Amy said,
"I'm not dating anyone because i can't find anyone that treats me as well as I do."
Wow. She treats herself well and doesn't put up with anyone not treating her well. She is smart, confident and overly concerned when it comes to her family and friends. She and I had a talk about loving yourself enough to take care of yourself.

Since then, I have been making an effort to treat myself nicely. I have a list of things that I do to take care of me:

1. Put my clothes (socks and under wear included) in a warm dryer on high...this is awesome at 5:30 in the morning.
2. Read Psalm 139 even though I have it memorized.
3. Sing in the car regardless of my mood.
4. Wave and smile at the person flipping me off for reasons that I probably deserved.
5. Check this website: http://kissesfromkatie.blogspot.com/2009_10_01_archive.html . It's seriously life changing.
6. Pray with the girls in the car ~ every morning I drop Bae and sometimes if we are on time, Haley and Alexis jump in and we chat for a few. I pray for them and their day and that no one will pull a clip that day...
7. Text Jamie. My favorite ones are about what he is cooking for dinner. Yum.
8. Rockin' out on Bae's stage. We have wayyyy tooo much fun at our house.
9. Call Grandma. It's the best form of unconditional love and I always feel so much better.
10. Remember where I was a year ago and be thankful to God for where He's put me today.

Be nice to you today. You deserve it.

xoxo
nrp

No comments: